Saturday, January 22, 2005

Oh, what a beautiful morning!

It is snowing hard and the streets are covered already. I see people hurrying to the grocery shop as I enter the liquor store.
A guy in front of me is buying lottery tickets by the dozen. I hear the machine "shomp-chomp", one ticket, "shomp-chomp" two tickets. The noise goes on for about 5 minutes. I can't see how much cash he is handling to the cashier, but it could not be less than $100.
I turn around to look at the man singing behind me. He is about 60, tall and has not one tooth left on his upper jaw. I recognize the verse:
" Oh, what a beautiful mornin',
Oh, what a beautiful day.
I got a beautiful feelin'
Ev'rything's goin' my way."

from the musical Oklahoma.
He is singing and laughing and stops only when the cashier is ready to take his order.
Liquor stores are the last refuge of optimists.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home