Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Picking up the right ones

I was not there and didn't see it but my mother, visiting from France with my dad, told me the story today.
They were going down to Adams Morgan and its many shops. A homeless stopped them for money. My father is not yet used to American coins so he just put out his hands full of change in front of the guy. My mom was telling me the care with which the homeless picked the "bright ones" and let the "small orange ones". I can feel that she is quite annoyed. "He picked them carefuly and only let us with the one cent coins. The ones we wanted to get rid of!"
I laugh. "This is America, Maman. When you gave people the choice, you can't blame them for deciding for themselves". Even if you don't like the outcome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home