Thursday, March 31, 2005

La révolution est au menu

I'm on my way to the movie theater to see "Gunner Palace", a documentary about a unit of American soldiers in Iraq. It turned out to be an uncompromising look on the soldiers' life there but also not a very good documentary, lacking a thread or a narrative. The authors clearly thought that they could just show smartly edited footage and call it a day and it shows. There is no substitute for structure. It is still a somehow controversial documentary and I am not entirely surprised to see a crowd of people gathered in front of what I think is the theater. As I get closer I realize my mistake. The theater is still a block away and the crowd is standing in front of the "Hard Rock Café". Mostly kids, captivated by what one guy perched on a mail box is telling them. He is dressed all in black, shaved head and a chain hanging from his front pocket to the back of his pants. I can't imagine what political discourse he is brainwashing them with when I hear him say: "And the special tonight...". These kids at the heights of concentration are listening to a waiter describing the menu of the restaurant they're about to enter. About 30 or 40 kids, listening to a list of appetizers.
The Fidel Insalata or the Bush Omelet?

6 Comments:

Blogger Solomon2 said...

I'm going to the American Enterprise Institute this Monday to see Raymond Aron and the End of Europe. I can guess that you would like to be there, too.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Just said...

Raymond Aron is one of my intellectual role model. He was a truly original thinker. A very sharp mind and a modest (too modest?) man. I am glad to see a renewed interest for his thoughts here in the US.

I'd love to make it to the talk. It will depend on whether I can get out from work early enough...

12:35 PM  
Blogger Just said...

Raymond Aron is one of my intellectual role model. He was a truly original thinker. A very sharp mind and a modest (too modest?) man. I am glad to see a renewed interest for his thoughts here in the US.

I'd love to make it to the talk. It will depend on whether I can get out from work early enough...

12:36 PM  
Blogger Solomon2 said...

Even if you get out at five, you can make it. It's only a block from the Farragut North Metro, directly across the street from the National Geographic.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Just said...

I work outside DC so I'll have to get out at about 4:30.
It better be worth it...

11:10 AM  
Blogger Solomon2 said...

There are no guarantees. It's not as if Aron himself is speaking! Though I wonder if the French Ambassador will send someone to listen?

Don't forget to register -- you can pay your $5 at the door. I think some sort of food is served. Something like food, anyway...

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home