Monday, June 07, 2004

A handful of dollars.

I was driving up the road to drop the car at the rental place. Early in the morning to have enough time to get to work on time. At an intersection, as I was waiting for the light to turn green, I noticed this guy standing on the sidewalk. He made no motion to cross the street but was waving his hand as if to call a cab. He was dressed a bit shabbily and as I looked a bit more closely I realized that he was waving dollar bills tightly clenched in his fist. He was clearly delighted in doing so, waving to everyone, to every car passing by him. The light turned green and as I drove past, I kept looking at him in my rear view mirror. A tall guy with a smile filled with pride and satisfaction and waiving a handful of dollars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home