Monday, September 20, 2004

Another sort of zoo

I'm in the zoo for my semi-regular visit. I try to come at least once a month. The tiger is pacing her small enclosure while children are shouting of excitement. A note on the railing is asking "Do you feel sorry for the tigers in the zoo? Tigers in the wild die of diseases or poaching. In the zoo, they are well cared for, fed and supervised by a team of veterinarians. Which one would you rather be?" There is a photo of a tiger getting some dental care (root canal for tigers?) I still feel sorry for this splendid animal trapped here. I hurry back to the exit, toward the cafe with plush sofas and loud music where I've decided to work this evening. The place is mobbed. Another sort of zoo.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jewell said...

The other day while I was tutoring in a writing class I told a student about this post and the sign in the zoo about the tiger. We talked at length about how silly this was and in more than one way, naive.

12:59 AM  
Blogger Just said...

Thank you for your comments. I'm glad to know that the blog can be used in anyway. I agree about the sign in the zoo. Zoos are strange places. We're all drawn to them for a sight of beautiful animals, but one can't help to feel sorry for these creatures, exposed and caged for the pleasure a few.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Jewell said...

Have you ever read the book, the Life of Pi? For some reason this post reminded me of it, its an excellent book, one worthy of a read. I think you would enjoy it.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Just said...

I know the book but didn't read it. I probably will now, just out of curiosity. Thanks for the suggestion!

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home