Monday, January 31, 2005

Wham!

I was in Kramerbooks with my friend B. visiting from Louisville (KY). Kramerbooks is a cool bookstore with an attitude. Cashiers are rude, unapologetically liberals and insulting toward anyone looking for a right-leaning book (I know because I tried). I obviously make a point to buy all my "conservative" and "neo-con" political analysis books here. I buy Chomsky at Borders, and Perle at Kramerbooks.
Music here is usually cool jazz or unusual sounds, always in line with their hip reputation.
Except today. As I am browsing through the new arrivals, I recognize an old song from the "worst of the 80's" CD.
"Wake me up before you go-go,
Don't leave me hanging on like a yo-yo

Wake me up before you go-go
I don't want to miss it when you hit that high"

I find myself tapping the rhythm with my foot, following the words. When I get to the cash registers, I hear one of the guy working there pleading with the woman who is ringing my purchase. "Please could we turn that music off?? I'm going to puke!" She is laughing and arguing that this is a great song. It is so uncool that it is cool. My friend B. is laughing too. He'll tell me later that he was wondering about the music when we got in. When we leave soon after that, the music is still going and the guy is still pleading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home