Sunday, June 19, 2005

Divorce, french style

I called my lawyer the other day for matters related to my car accident two years ago. The case has not been settled yet. So I say my name and he answers "Ah! you're gonna be happy! I filled the papers yesterday and all is fine". I am happy indeed and ask him what's gonna happen now.
So he launches into a long description of a judge reviewing all the papers and as I am thinking that I would not be sad to see this case close, I hear " and so, if all goes well, you'll be divorced in 6 months!". I'm trying to process the information, slowly realizing that he has mistaken me for someone else. I'm not sure what to say so I hesitate "That's fantastic especially because I am not married...". There is a silence at the end of the phone. "You're not Mrs. XXX? " he asks giving, in addition, the name of the person who is indeed getting divorced. "Well, obviously not. I'm calling for the car accident". I can almost feel his embarrassment and he tells me that he will work on the case soon before hanging up.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sean Carroll said...

Congratulations! You know, I never thought he was right for you anyway. Singles scene, here you come!

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home